Saturday, September 8, 2012

Winter is Coming

     There are several different reactions to the title above:

  • For some people this title brings anticipation about the return of the Game of Thrones series.
  • Some people simply brush it aside because it is only the beginning of September and the leaves have not even started changing yet.
  • And then there are Alaskans who fall into two categories:  They either are cringing while nodding or they simply refused to read this post, denial and frustration pouring from their lips.
      For those of you who do not live up here, allow me to fill you in.  I scraped a heavy layer of frost off my car this morning.  Leaves are pouring off my trees as if they are in some sort of "Leave the tree bare" competition.  We just had major work done on my water heater and furnace at home, just in time I may add.  The temperature of the house had been in the low 60s in the mornings.  Temperatures are getting lower and the days are getting shorter.

     Winter is coming.

     Now please do not misunderstand me.  I love winter.  I am so excited for the first snowfall, I cannot actually put it into words.  November and December are my favorite months of the year.  I am eager to play in the snow and be rid of the bugs and enjoy coming into a warm house from the cold.  This is a joyful word for me. 

     It is also a word of preparation.  Winters in Alaska are not simply seasons that you fall into and expect to be safe.  Many homes are chopping lots of wood, getting their heating systems fine-tuned (done!), checking their snow tires, making sure there are good seals on their doors and windows and beginning to make sure that they have appropriate gear for their kids.  City-wide there is a mad rush to finish all the summer projects that were started so that when the next season hits, we can welcome it instead of being resentful.

     Winter is when Joel's Place is busiest.  We become the default location for skating and biking.  We become a safe place to escape the elements.  We offer the warm food and drinks to kids who are not properly equipped for the cold.  Winter is when Joel's Place blossoms and thrives.

     And so now we prepare for that day.  We are fine-tuning our program schedule and making contacts throughout the community to utilize our building.  We are writing grants and finding sites for AmeriCorps members.  We are raising funds to use for major upcoming expenses, especially heating oil.  We are getting ready so that when the snow flies and the kids flock to us, we will be ready to welcome them with open arms.

     I love winter.  I love what Joel's Place offers in the winter.  If you want to help, consider donating food or time to help us make meals.  Consider offering your skills to help our facilities repairs.  Consider donating heating oil or sponsoring a skater or visiting our Global Giving site or helping us put on Ramp It Up in November.  If none of those options sound appropriate, contact me at 452-2621 or joelsplacealaska@gmail.com and we can find creative ways to partner.

     Winter is coming.

     Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment