Saturday, September 15, 2012

Why Give?

     I did an interesting Google search today.  I looked up "Why to Donate" just to see what was out there.  What was out there were 384 Million entries.  If I did nothing but read those entries...and each one took me ten minutes...and I had a team of 1,000 people helping me...we could be done in a little under 10 years.
     There are a lot of people and organizations who want you to donate your time, money and resources to them:  political parties, churches, blood banks, service organizations, lobbyists, schools, and so many others.  If you can think of a cause, most likely someone would like to you give towards it.  I work in the non-profit world and have little disposable income, yet I am still inundated with mailings and advertisements and calls to help support this worthy cause and that worthy candidate. Global Giving puts the needs of the world at your fingertips and gives instant access to thousands of amazing projects that are happening right now. 

     "Why give?"

    Before wading through all of the different options that are out there, we first take a step back.  Why would someone who has studied for countless hours, climbed the working-world ladder, taken tremendous risks, and poured themselves into their profession simply give away the compensation that they have earned?  They still have bills and families to support and things they want to do with their lives.  Why would they willingly decrease their ability to do these things?  Simply put, I have arrived at this:

   
We give to promote our vision of the world.

      We have ideas about how life should work.  How parents should treat their children.  How governments should treat their citizens.  How the poor should be dealt with.  How faith should influence generosity.  Our daily routine does not allow us to completely implement that vision; the days are simply too full with jobs and kids and meetings to do that.  However we are granted the resources, whether time or money or connections, to advance that vision a little further.  We join our efforts and offerings with others who share our hopes and then catch a glimpse of vision becoming reality.

     My vision of the world is still under construction, but I know it includes these elements:
  • Children should be safe and given every opportunity to mature before they have to make adult decisions.
  • Generosity is as good for me as it is for those who receive. (Quick side note: The candy on my desk is a perfect example.  If I keep it all on my desk, I end up eating it without thinking and growing unhealthier.  If I bring it to our Board Meeting, I gain friends, the meeting goes better and I have to do less work to make healthy decisions.)
  •  A person is both physical and spiritual.  Only meeting the needs of one aspect is incomplete.
  • Laughter and fun and learning are valuable commodities.
  • Young people are hungry for mentors.
  • Money is a means, not an end.
  • I love Alaska and want to see its people living prosperous lives and making healthy choices.
I could go on, but those are a good summary.  I work at Joel's Place and give to Joel's Place because I am able to see my vision becoming reality there.  If you share this vision, I invite you to join me.  If you have a different vision, give there.  If you do not give because you hold no vision of your own, I implore you to take time to think and dream about what you value in the world.  Visit globalgiving.com to get some ideas.  find some friends and brainstorm together about what you could do if you pooled some of your resources.

     Everyone agrees the world needs to change.  There are lots of great ideas out there to partner with.  Consider this an open invitation to dive in.

James

No comments:

Post a Comment