Saturday, November 3, 2012

Ramp It Up

     Joel's Place has its annual fundraiser coming up on November 16th:  Ramp It Up 2012!  This is our opportunity to showcase who we are and what we do while inviting the community to partner with us in our mission to care for the at-risk youth of Fairbanks.  I am excited for a number of reasons:

  1. This is my first fundraiser as the Joel's Place Director.  When I think back to where I was a year ago, my head spins.  In one calender year I have written a book, drastically changed jobs and added a new child to my family.  It is hard for me to fathom what will be happening next year at this time.
  2. Dessert.  Ramp It Up will include a Dessert Auction.  Anyone who knows me knows that I love desserts...and we are going to have some amazing options to bid on.
  3. Community.  It is rare that I have a chance to be in a room with a lot of people who are supporters of Joel's Place.  This event will allow us to come together with over 250 people who are committed to helping Joel's Place succeed. I feel both enthusiastic and humbled at the same time.  I am eager to meet new people, establish new connecions, dream new dreams, and share our vision for the future of Joel's Place.
  4. Dessert.  Did I mention there would be food?
  5. Our Guest Speaker.  Ron Ruthruff has years of experience ministering to the urban poor and at-risk youth in Seattle.  He is a gifted speaker and teacher who will expand our ideas of what is possible.  I found a talk he gave at a conference in Spokane on Youtube.  The talk is in 4 parts; if you want to hear all of it, parts 1, 3 and 4 are online also.



     6.  Turning "Ramp It Up" into "Fill It Up."  My goal for the funds that we raise are necessary but utterly and completely boring:  Heating Oil.  We go through about 100 gallons each week to heat Joel's Place during the winter.  What that works out to is 3000 gallons and $12,000 to get us through the winter.  So far we have purchased 600 gallons...only 2400 more to go.
     
     November 16th will be a great night, I really hope you can attend.  If you are interested in helping with the event itself, we still need a few companies/individuals to sponsor a table of eight for $320.  For tickets, you can contact Joel's Place at 452-2621 or e-mail me at joelsplacealaska@gmail.com.

     Thank you all for your support and encouragement.

James

No comments:

Post a Comment