Friday, June 20, 2014

Two Years

     This week marks my two-year anniversary of coming to work at Joel's Place.  We had our monthly Board of Directors meeting this week and this was the Executive Report that I filed:

This month marks two years for me in the position of Executive Director.  It has been a steep learning curve full of laughter and angst and prayer.  I thought I would give a bigger picture report this month to highlight how far we have come as an organization.

  • ·         We have invested nearly $300,000 in our building.  Projects have included new Red Room Floors, outdoor paving and fencing, new siding and insulation for the walls, fuel for our tank, a new sound system, as well as new outdoor basketball, volleyball and riding areas.  The building looks great and is much more cost effective.
  • ·         We have a full, engaged Board of Directors.
  • ·         Staff are being paid on time.  It sounds like a small thing, but I was 2-3 paychecks behind for the first 6 months on the job.
  • ·         Everything is up: donations, morale, cash flow, attendance, community reputation.
  • ·         We have cut nearly $400,000 of annual payroll without sacrificing mission.
  • ·         Two words:  Free Skating
  • ·         Two more words: Debt Reduction- we have paid off nearly $80,000 of our building debt and come up with a plan to pay the rest off that fits within our budget.
  • ·         Positive, Creative programs: Food Service, Field Trips, Ride Team, Operation: OnRamp, Special Needs Camps
  • ·         Ramp It Up used to average $10,000 profit.  2012 was $23,000 and 2013 was nearly $40,000
  • ·         Successfully transitioning from Founders to next generation
This is only a partial list, but it paints a good picture.  We have done well.  There is still a lot to build, but we are on a good path.  A deep thank you to all of you who are giving so much assistance and support.


                                 ______________________________________________


   I had someone ask me the other day if I was happy with my decision to join Joel's Place.  I am.  It has been a steep learning curve but I have been working with some amazing people who made the transition manageable.  I like the diverse job duties.  I like the value that my job brings to the community.  I like the faith aspect.  I like having to learn new things every day.  I like bringing out the best in my staff.  I like seeing kids leave our building drenched in sweat and beaming with smiles.  

     I am eager to see what this next year holds as we continue to grow towards sustainability and increase our impact in Interior Alaska.  As I said to the Board, thank you to all of you who have partnered with us in both the long term and the short term.  Your support, encouragement, generosity and prayers have brought us to this point.  It is humbling to be on the receiving end of so much good will and favor. 

Peace, hope and joy to you all.


James

No comments:

Post a Comment