Friday, March 21, 2014

Purpose, part 2

     Before I dive into unpacking out Purpose Statement, allow me to extend an invitation to all of you.  I am having a Book Launch Party tomorrow, Saturday the 22nd of March from noon to 2pm at Joel's Place.  Come join me in celebrating the release of "The Seer!"  Stop by to grab some free food, see Joel's Place, buy a book, get your book signed or simply to laugh with me that I am now an author.  The park will be closed which means the ramps are free for the kids to run on.  Thanks to everyone who supported me along this endeavor.  I hope to see you tomorrow!


                         _________________________________________________________

     We vote with our feet.  This is one of my favorite sayings.  It still confuses my kids who think I'm talking about doing handstands in voting booths in November.  What it really means is that our actions reveal our beliefs much better than our words do.  People say all sorts of crazy things (hello, internet) but you can discern what they believe simply by observing their actions. 

     For example, I have said that I want to get into shape in order to go with the kids on the epic biking/hiking trips that their schools host every spring.  However when my alarm goes off at 6:30 every morning I decide that I value an extra half hour of sleep than getting up and exercising.  Voting with your feet...or in my case, voting with my snooze alarm.

     Similarly, our Purpose statement says that our first goal is to experience God's love and then "Express it in meaningful ways."  If we claim to be followers of Jesus, then we must do what He did.  Care for the poor.  Love the outcast.  Defend the oppressed.  Live a life filled with laughter, tears and miracles.  Give generously and rely on God for provision.  Listen to God and do what He says.  Putting the needs of others above our own.  If we do these things our lives, and our organization, are bound to look radically different from the cultural norm.  And then no matter what we say, or what others say about us, it will be clear what we believe because people will see us voting with our feet...and our skate park...and our cafe...and our staff...and our money.  We are loved and blessed and so we will love and bless every young man and woman who comes through our doors in the hopes that they will be transformed by their time at Joel's Place.


No comments:

Post a Comment