Saturday, January 19, 2013

So I made a deal...

     There is a young man who skates here at Joel's Place.  He has decided that he wants to learn more about Scripture and more about Jesus, so he is starting a Bible Study at Joel's Place in order to look over the book of John with others.  I approached him with the following proposal:

"I tell you what.  I will teach you how to lead Bible Studies if you will teach me how to skateboard. Deal?"

     I can hear you chuckling at the screen.  Wondering why I would propose something that could be so painful?  Several reasons, actually.  For example:
  • It is always better to have a reciprocal relationship if possible.  When one person is consistently giving or teaching, they are constantly in authority, diminishing the esteem of the other person and devaluing  their God-given abilities and experiences.
  • I have been on the job for 6 months and still have barely stood on a skateboard, which severely limits the conversations I can have with Joel's Place kids.  I need to intentionally carve out some time to learn and I need accountability.
  • I have a lot of experience with the Gospels and leading groups in Scripture study to offer.  Fifteen years worth.
  • I would love to see Scripture studies become a regular part of the activities here at Joel's Place.  For that to happen, they need to be a good quality so those attending want more.
  • I don't come home with enough bruises...so that's going to change.
     Our first lessons were today.  I am struck by how many similarities there are when you are learning something new.  We started with big concepts to remember and then did small, manageable lessons that can be built on.  I shared things like historical context, looking for applications and asking questions of the text.  The very first thing I learned about riding a skateboard?  How to get off.  When you are out of control, not "if" but "when," it is vital that you be able to abandon your board with control so as not to injure yourself or others.  Hopping off with both feet at the same time allows the board to roll to a stop while you land on a solid foundation.  Stepping off with one foot after another sends the board shooting out, you landing on your back and your head bouncing on the ground.  That reminds me, I need to teach him how to get out of a Bible Study that is going horribly wrong.  There's not one trick, but there are some good methods.

     We are both building muscles as we learn how to do something new.  Those muscles and reflexes will either be sharpened as we work more and more or they will fade if we do not practice.  I am not looking forward to the learning process and pains, but I am eager to see where we go from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment